Trip Report: Barcelona: Part 1

A report in several parts otherwise it will be a very long post.

My DH was 50years old last week so we took a week off and went to Barcelona for a city break, Monday toi Friday. The choice was a bit last minute. We had both been under the we

ather and he had just got over flu. Deciding where to go was a little driven by the cost of flights and accomodation but also I had been before with girlfriends and wanted to show him the delights of this lovely city.

We flew on Moday morning from East Midlands Airport. We only live 20 miles or so away so we caught the Skylink bus which got us there for 7 in the morning. Our flight was just after 9am.

We had only packed carry on luggage and once through the security had a bacon buttie breakfast.

The flights were with Ryanair and we had the appropriatly sized bags. We were a bit frustrated about not being able to print off boarding passes for the return trip unless we booked seats to do so. The information stated that we wouldn’t be able to use a smartphone to show our boarding pass. We paid the extra as it was a special trip but would have happily got the pass printed off somehere any other time. DH didn’t want to take the chance. It doesn’t make you love the company when you feel you are being manipulated to spend more money.

I have flown before with Ryanair and understand that the company isn’t a charity. Despite this little fly in the ointment boarding was smooth and the crew welcoming.

The flight was only a few hours so we both caught a nap and enjoyed the view.

Our arrival in Barcelona was on time. Our next challenge was find our pre booked taxi to our apartment. The instructions were not as clear as we would have liked. The signage was rubbish. We caught the the free bus to teminal 2 as intructed, landing right back where we started. We should have gone down to the next floor first and spoken to the people at the ‘From2’ kiosk. Eventually we found it and they sent us to a buss stop another 10 minutes walk away.

Finally we got the taxi (more of a minibus) and were delived to the Acacia Suite, a small set of tiny hotel apartments about 25 minutes walk from La Rambla.


We arrived in sunshine in the middle of the afternoon and had a warm welcome from the receptionist. Our room was on the fourth floor. It consisted of a bedrrom and attached bathroom, a lounge and kithcenette with table, chairs, hob and fridge. We dropped our stuff off and had a walk round the area to find somewhere to eat.

First meal was in one of the thousands of eateries which seem to be on every street which serve everything from tapas to pizza. We had a light late lunch of burger and chips which was very welcome after all the travelling.

Back to our rooms for a nap after a bit more exploring and then out in the evening. We went to a more up market restraunt which served up market pizza. We had expensive but lovely wine and enjoyed our meal. I had cheesy type of canelloni (which looked like a vegetarian lasagne) and DH had a huge pizza with pears as the surprise ingredient.

Had a lovely sleep aided by alchohol and being relaxed for the first time in weeks.

Part Two to come.


This entry was posted in Barcelona, holiday, Travelling and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s